Materials from our K-12 Partnership Workshops:
April 15: Inferring Function from Form
- Plenary: Dr. Ryan Bebej from Calvin College. Walking with whales: the origin and evolution of cetaceans
- Powerpoint slides HERE.
- Materials from Concurrent Sessions:
- Cheryl Hach’s Speak Up! Incorporating discourse into your life science classroom.
- Tom Schaefer’s Hookeing up with the Microscope.
November 12: Coevolution and Crosscutting concepts
- Anne-Marie Hoskinson. Ping Pong, Zombies, and Influenza: Let’s Build a Model!
- Follow-up document from the session that outlines how to make a prediction from a model.
- Matt Rowe, plenary speaker. Ground squirrels, rattlesnakes, and burrowing owls: the legend of the “happy family”?
Summer Institute – June 23-25
- Science and Decision Making: How do we support our students in understanding complex socio-scientific issues in the media? PDF of session presentation by Hannah Miller and Andy Anderson.
November 13: Integrating Water Cycling and Ecosystems
- Summer Institute (June 24-26)
- Carolyn Malmstrom
- Catherine Lindell – Limiting Bird Damage to Fruit Crops Website
- Wall Street Journal article on Dr. Lindell’s anti-crop damage scarecrows.
- Maren Friesen
- NGSS slides (from Sara S., Nancy K, and Cheryl Hach)
- Keeling Curve-arama (Session by Jenny Dauer)
- Dec. 5: Joe Dauer’s slides pdf
- October 3: Steve Hamilton’s slides pdf
- Summer Institute: Julie Doll’s slides pdf
Important KBS GK-12 Documents:
Fellow Orientation Materials:
- NSF synopsis of the national GK-12 program
- Overview of the KBS GK-12 program
- Summary of the KBS GK-12 program
- Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center (GLBRC)
- NSF Math Science Partnership for Culturally Relevant Ecology (MSP )
- adapting research to inquiry lessons pdf
- ‘recipe for success’ pdf
- Agendas (pdf): 2010 , 2011 , 2012
Other useful materials and links:
- Stated Clearly – videos and resources for understanding science. http://www.statedclearly.com/
- OnlineCourses.com – Database of online university open courseware with tools to track courses taken and progress made.